Monday, April 12, 2010

Deceptive Dualities in the Purpose Driven Paradigm

The Purpose Driven Life.... (PDL) pg. 231
“The last thing many believers need today is to go to another Bible study. They already know far more than they are putting into practice.”



PDL ...pg. 307
“I strongly urge you to gather a small group of friends and form a Purpose Driven Life Reading Group to review these chapters on a weekly basis … After you have gone through this book together as a group, you might consider studying other Purpose Driven Life studies that are available for classes and groups.”


Same book... same person writing... 
and he first convinces his followers
that another Bible Study is worthless, 
a waste of time.  
But, when it comes to adopt a weekly gathering 
and study of his own book!  
(or other PDL merchandise)
the story apparently changes.

Acts 20:26-31 
Therefore, I declare to you today
that I am innocent of the blood of all men.
For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you 
the whole will of God.

Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock 
of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers
  shepherds of the church of God, 
which he bought with his own blood. 
I know that after I leave, 
savage wolves
will come in among you 
and will not spare the flock.
Even from your own number 
men will arise 
and distort the truth 
in order to draw away disciples after them. 
So be on your guard! 
Remember that for three years 
I never stopped warning each of you
night and day with tears.

 ...........

PDL pg 101
"Worship must be based on the truth of Scripture, not our opinions about God,"


PDL pg 102
"Worship must be both accurate and authentic. God-pleasing worship is both deeply emotional and deeply doctrinal.... The best style of worship is the one that most authentically represent your love for God, based on the background and personality God gave you."

So....Which is true Rick?

Is worship of God to be 
based upon the truth of scripture 
(and therefore not our opinion about God).
or is it based on my style... the authentic "me"?  
What I like...
 "my" background and personality" 
that God gave me?

But then, in the Purpose Driven Church.. a handbook for Purpose Driven Pastors, Rick says, 
“Figure out what mood you want the service to project, and then create it” 
(Purpose Driven Church..pp. 264)

We used classical, country, jazz, rock, reggae, easy listening, and even rap. The crowd never knew what was coming next. "
(Purpose Driven Church.. pp. 285)
  
This is authentic?
Hardly!


Rick wants to help the American Christian Church of every denomination "change", and the first step in changing the way you think is to create confusion.  Now, what did he say?
What do Christians need? 
 Bible study or Purpose Driven Life Studies?

Which is the kind of worship that pleases God?
  Worship not based our opinion, or worship based on my personality and background?
And should worship be ":authentic" or "projected" and "created."


And WHAT does repentance REALLY mean?

 “Now most people think of the word of repentance they think of sandwich signs, turn or burn, or they think repentance means stopping all my bad actions. That is not what repentance is."

"There is not a lexicon in the world that will tell you that repentance means stop your bad action. Repentance, metanoia, simply means changing your mind. And we are in the mind changing business. Preaching is about mind changing. Society’s word for repentance, by the way, is "paradigm shift." Repentance is the ultimate paradigm shift, where I go from darkness to light, from guilt to forgiveness, from no hope to hope, from no purpose to purpose, from living for myself to living for Christ. It’s the ultimate paradigm shift. And repentance is changing your mind at the deepest level of beliefs and values.”
~ Rick Warren 
Purpose-Driven Preaching: Interview by M. Duduit


So  if we listen to Rick we will change our minds? 
Will Christians  believe him that the last thing 
we need is ANOTHER BIBLE Study.  
If we do then will we stop having Bible ssudies 
and replace our Bible Studies with reading his
books, DVD, Conferences, seminars, 
webinars, and Christianity 101 classes?

Will we redesign  and reinvent our own ways to worship God, 
begin  worshiping God based on our own backgrounds 
and what best represents us... 
you know, based on our personalities, 
just like Rick says?



And which is it?
Is Rick a supporter of Gay "Marriage"?  How did he feel about Proposition 8? 
"In the first place, I am not an anti-gay or anti-gay marriage activist — never have been, never will be. During the whole Proposition 8 thing, I never once went to a meeting, never once issued a statement, never — never once even gave an endorsement in the two years Prop 8 was going."
-Rick Warren ..CNN's Larry King Live

 "The only time I even mentioned it, (referring to Prop 8) was in response to questions by my members a couple a days before the election.  In my weekly video or newsletter to my own congregation I said, that obviously we oppose the redefinition of "marriage." That was the only time I mentioned it, I was never involved in the campaign itself. "
Rick Warren News and Views 10/30/09

 "There were a number of things that were put out. I wrote to all my gay friends -- the leaders that I knew -- and actually apologized to them. That never got out," 
-Rick Warren
Rick Warren disavows support for Prop. by Jim Brown - OneNewsNow - 4/8/2009

 Warren's comments to his Congregation just before the big Prop 8 vote:

"The election's coming just in a couple of weeks, and I hope you're praying about your vote. One of the propositions, of course, that I want to mention is Proposition 8, which is the proposition that had to be instituted because the courts threw out the will of the people. And a court of four guys actually voted to change a definition of marriage that has been going for 5,000 years....Now let me say this really clearly: we support Proposition 8 -- and if you believe what the Bible says about marriage, you need to support Proposition 8. I never support a candidate, but on moral issues I come out very clear..."

 "...Now here's an interesting thing. There are about two percent of Americans [who] are homosexual or gay/lesbian people. We should not let two percent of the population determine to change a definition of marriage that has been supported by every single culture and every single religion for 5,000 years." -Rick Warren 

"

Does Rick take a stand on these important and non negotiable issues facing our country?  Does he really care about them? Does he speak up?  Does he have a voice and does he use it; or does he keep silent?

On Larry King ...April 6, 2009 
LARRY KING: All right. Do you, therefore, criticize or not comment on the Iowa court decision to permit gay marriage?
RICK WARREN: Yes. I'm—I'm totally oblivious to—to what—that's not even my agenda. My agenda is two things. One, today is the 15th anniversary of the genocide in Rwanda. It's a national day of mourning, which I—as you know, I've been heavily involved in—in Rwanda and helping rebuild that nation and I'm very concerned about that. And the second thing is, I'm interested in what the recession is doing to the spiritual climate of our nation. And as we start Easter week and Passover week, which is a really big week for those of us who are Jews or Christians, Passover and Easter, it's our biggest week of the year. And it actually was the—the week that I started Saddleback Church 30 years ago this Easter Sunday. . . .
KING. One other thing in the gay issue, while you said you were not an activist at all . . . did you not encourage your flock to vote yes on Proposition 8?
WARREN: Oh, yes. You know, I don't think that the definition of marriage should be changed.
KING: So you did ask your people who worship with you to vote that way?
WARREN: Yes. I just never campaigned. . . .
KING: It's not high on your road of issues?
WARREN: No, no, it's very low. In fact, I am working with a number of gay organizations on issues that we care about, in saving lives.

 Saving lives?

Let's talk about Saving lives...

Jesus saves.

“For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me;
for he wrote about Me. But if you do not believe his writings, 
how will you believe My words?” 
(John 5:46-47.)

  Mark 16:16
He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; 
but he that believes not shall be damned.

Ephesians 2:8
 For by grace are you saved through faith; 
and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

What must I do to be saved?

First you must know that you are under the guilt of sin before God and that as such you are also under the sin's reign  and therefore under the reign of Satan, a most woeful oppressor... the worse of enemies, the enemy of your heart, your mind and your soul.

Secondly, You must want to be free of sin and turn back to the Lord your God.  Repent of sin....

Then you will know that you may have Salvation... the free gift of God through Jesus Christ, and then you simply accept what God says...about you... you are FORGIVEN, LOVED and SAVED.

BELIEVE.


John 3:16
"For God so loved the world 
that he gave his one and only Son, 
that whoever believes in him s
hall not perish but have eternal life.

Acts 16:31
"Believe in the Lord Jesus,
and you will be saved--
you and your household."


Homosexuality?  Proposition 8?



"If you believe what the Bible says about marriage, you need to support Proposition 8. I never support a candidate, but on moral issues I come out very clear..." ~ Rick Warren



KING: 
So you did ask your people who worship with you to vote that way?
WARREN: 
Yes. I just never campaigned. . . .
KING: 
It's not high on your road of issues?
WARREN: 
 No, no, it's very low.
KING:  
 It's not high on your road of issues?
WARREN: 
 No, no, it's very low.



No comments:

Post a Comment