Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Awakening 21

Ahhh... Awakening 21 is upon the world, and it is another video seminar engagement for Rick Warren,  an opportunity to encourage the church to get a "fresh" awakening (apparently their simple faith in Jesus Christ, is not enough.) HE is ready to encourage them to "fall in love with Jesus again."

Accepting this invitation, however, might simply a way to introduce those who trust Rick to his "good friend's" new book, titled, 21 Days to Revolutionize Your Relationship with God: A New Approach to Faith Fasting and Spiritual Freedom.  His good friend is the author of that, Stovall Weens... But then again it could also be a plug for Rick's own upcoming Radicalis Conference; he did mention that at least once.  Whatever the reason, this claim of Awakening 21, to being a "new approach to faith, fasting and spiritual freedom" is  quite a claim. The question is: "What NEW approach to faith" are we talking here?  Is there anything NEW under the sun?  IS the Christian faith that we see expressed in the words preserved for us in scripture, obsolete?

As for those who believe the scriptures to be true, who contend for the faith.. once delivered to the saints.... what new approach to faith and "spiritual freedom" could there be?  After all, the scriptures speak of one very excellent way... the only way to be set free... Jesus.  Apparently however, there is a new way underfoot.  It's a way akin to being perfect... and of naming it and claiming it via your own personal declaration.

During Rick Warren's talk time in video at the conference, Rick reiterated for everyone his declaration.  That's right, his declaration of what he is and is not willing to and going to do.  It is, sort of, a way to put all his "I am's" and I am-not's and "I will's " into being... like a creed. 


THE PURPOSE DRIVEN DECLARATION by Rick Warren
"Today I am stepping across the line. I’m tired of waffling and I’m finished with wavering, I’ve made my choice, the verdict is in, and my decision is irrevocable. I’m going God’s way. There’s no turning back now!

I will live the rest of my life serving God’s purposes with God’s people on God’s planet for God’s glory. I will use my life to celebrate his presence, cultivate his character, participate in his family, demonstrate his love, and communicate his Word.
 
Since my past has been forgiven, and I have a purpose for living, and a home awaiting in heaven,  I refuse to waste any more time or energy on shallow living, petty thinking, trivial talking, thoughtless doing, useless regretting, hurtful resenting, or faithless worrying. Instead I will magnify God, grow to maturity, serve in ministry, and fulfill my mission in the membership of his family.

Because this life is preparation for the next, I will value worship over wealth, “we” over “me,”  character over comfort, service over status, and people over possessions, position, and pleasures. I know what matters most, and I’ll give it all I’ve got. I’ll do the best I can with what I have for Jesus Christ today.

I won’t be captivated by culture, manipulated by critics, motivated by praise, frustrated by problems, debilitated by temptation, or intimidated by the devil. I’ll keep running my race with my eyes on the goal, not the sidelines or those running by me. When times get tough, and I get tired, I won’t back up, back off, back down, back out, or backslide. I’ll just keep moving forward by God’s grace. I’m Spirit-led, purpose driven, and mission-focused, so I cannot be bought, I will not be compromised, and I shall not quit until I finish the race.

I’m a trophy of God’s amazing grace, so I will be gracious to everyone, grateful for every day, and generous with everything God entrusts to me.

To my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I say, "However, whenever, wherever, and whatever you ask me to do, my answer in advance is yes!  Wherever you lead and whatever the cost I’m ready. Anytime. Anywhere. Anyway.  Whatever it takes, Lord; whatever it takes!  I want to be used by you in such a way, that on that final day I’ll hear you say, 'Well done, thou good and faithful one. Come on in, and let the eternal party begin!'" 

 Let's look at that again...

THE PURPOSE DRIVEN DECLARATION by Rick Warren
"Today I am stepping across the line.
 
( What is this invisible line that he speaks of? 
Who made it?  Rick Warren? or was it God?  
And, if it is God, then why is there no
mention of faith in Jesus Christ?
 Could it be that he is having Christians
take a particular stance on what they 
will... or will-not BELIEVE, 
what they will "do" for "God."? 

 I’m tired of waffling and I’m finished with wavering, 
(Imagine a person saying this.. really saying,
"I am tired of wavering.".
YOu might think that such a person is about to finally 
BELIEVE, and commit his life to Christ.. 
or maybe do it again since he didn't get it right the first time,
but no, this imaginary person is not asking 
God to help him in his time of need. 
No, 
he is just going to do these things
that he sets out now to do, out of his own will.  
He is making a choice and because he is so determined. 
Apparently, nothing can stop him now!

I’ve made my choice, the verdict is in, and my decision is irrevocable. I’m going God’s way.  
It's odd, Rick Warren suggests the person say,  "God's way"...
this while never describing "God" or His "way" to us....   
 The scripture, however, teaches
that Jesus , 
is the way the truth 
and the life.
John 14:6)
There’s no turning back now! I will 
(NOTE: HE does not say, "Lord willing.".. 
) live the rest of my life serving God’s purposes 
 (probably the" five purposes "as defined by Rick's books.
A question here:  Are God's "purposes" the same as Rick denotes in his books?
Where in the Bible does it tell a pastor to balance 
those five "purposes of God"  to have a healthy church! 
with God’s people 
(meaning... who? who are God's people??)  
on God’s planet 
 
for God’s glory. 

 I will use my life to celebrate his presence, 
 (excuse me, what, exactly does "celebrate his presence," mean?  
Perhaps we are just supposed to know, or just interpret this the way we want to. 
Maybe it refers to his "Celebrate" series... 
(Remember, Celebrate Divorce, or Celebrate Recovery, etc.?)
Maybe this idea of "celebrate" his presence  
refers to friend of his, Richard Foster 
 who's books Rick  also promotes, 
called "Celebrate Discipline, 
"(a book about something 
he calls Spiritual Formation.) 
But it could also refer to "celebrate" 
as in the celebration of the passover, 
or perhaps even the celebration 
of the Roman Catholic mass? 

Rick is not specific. 

Perhaps as he talks about 
celebrating the presence of God,
he is referring to the same concept he recommends 
in his Purpose Driven Life book 
where he gives readers the example of a spiritual mystic,
Brother Lawrence, 
"practicing the presence of God " 
One can only guess.what it means to celebrate his presence,
but the Bible never talks 
about "celebrating the presence of God."

 ..cultivate his character, participate in his family, demonstrate his love, and communicate his Word.
 
Since my past has been forgiven 
                                                 (no mention of how... it is just supposed tp be "a given")  
and I have a purpose for living,
                             (and this is probably a reference to the person realizing that "life has purpose," thanks to Rick and his New York times best selling Purpose Driven books)  
and a home awaiting in heaven,
I refuse
to waste any more time
or energy on shallow living,
petty thinking, trivial talking,
thoughtless doing, useless regretting,
hurtful resenting, or faithless worrying.
Instead I will magnify God, 
grow to maturity,
(however, we do not cause ourselves to grow
just as we do not cause ourselves to exist) 
serve in ministry,  
and fulfill my mission 
in the membership of his family.

This makes it clear that the person is following Rick... 
and the Purpose Driven  Paradigm
.
Because this life is preparation for the next, I will value worship over wealth,
(Note that the things must both start with the letter "W."
Note also that one could feasibly "worship" money, 

“we” over “me,”  

Regarding “we over “me,” 
Jesus said, "love others as you love yourself."
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".. 
So then...since when did  "we"
become more important  or valuable, than "me."


character over comfort,
service over status,
and people over possessions, position, and pleasures.
(This all certainly sounds like it could be self-denial.... but is it? 
Is it done for that sake of love, or just to exalt one's own ability, 
or maybe to support some political cause?) 
I know what matters most,

and I’ll give it all I’ve got. 
I’ll do the best I can with what I have 
for Jesus Christ today. 
(Obviously Rick does not know, he does not preach, 
the verse that says, "all my righteousness is as filthy rags." 
Instead the words are 
"do the best with what I have for Jesus Christ today."
If he did, then he would realize that we bring nothing to the table, 
that it is God's workmanship in Christ that we as Christians do.

  IF you read the Bible, you learn that Jesus came to heal the sick,
make them whole again, not just partly well.  Meanwhile Rick 
uses the expression that  he knows what "matters the most," 
which is not humble at all 
and he expresses too that he intends to simply do the best 
he can with what he has...for Jesus Christ....(aka God.)
But Christian, think again...
Isn't this what Cain thought,when he brought God the best
of his offering unto God?  If this is so, it is quite a declaration!

I won’t be captivated by culture, manipulated by critics,
motivated by praise, frustrated by problems,
debilitated by temptation, or intimidated by the devil.
I’ll keep running my race with my eyes on the goal,
not the sidelines or those running by me.
When times get tough, and I get tired, 
I won’t back up, back off, back down,
back out, or backslide.
I’ll just keep moving forward by God’s grace. 
 I’m Spirit-led, purpose driven, and mission-focused,
so I cannot be bought, I will not be compromised,
and I shall not quit until I finish the race.
(This is all nice sounding, but it rings a little bit like
this is all more an act of the human, fleshly will, than 
a submission to God's will.  
And while he does mention God's grace..
He neglects to mention relying on the finished work of Christ
or the strength of Christ in us, God's help, to see us through 
what difficulty we may encounter on the way.  
It is a proud heart that says, 
"I will" do this or that, or, 
"I can do it on my own strength, " 
instead of "I can do all things through 
Christ who strengthens me. 
Philippians 4:13) )

I’m a trophy of God’s amazing grace,  
(A trophy? 
Whatever happened to humility... 
 
so I will be gracious to everyone,
grateful for every day, and generous with everything God entrusts to me.

To my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I say, "However, whenever, wherever, and whatever you ask me to do, my answer in advance is yes!  Wherever you lead and whatever the cost I’m ready. Anytime. Anywhere. Anyway.  Whatever it takes, Lord; whatever it takes!  I want to be used by you in such a way, that on that final day I’ll hear you say, 'Well done, thou good and faithful one. Come on in, and let the eternal party begin!'" 

(Eternal Party?  Is this is scripture? 
This may sound like a scripture verse,
but what scripture actually says... is: 
Well done, good and faithful servant
You have been faithful with a few things..." 
(Note, it does not say, you have done
everything to the ultimate,
been totally perfect and without flaw.) 
 "I will put you in charge of many things. 
Come and share 
your master’s happiness!’ 
Matt 25:23)



2 comments:

  1. That man is abysmal. I think if I was that burned out pastor I would resign after hearing this advice. I feel so bad for the guy. He was asking for bread and was given a stone. The man is under the heavy burden of law, and performance driven Christianity, and Rick told him, essentially, buck up soldier, pull yourself up by your bootstraps and commit to Jesus all over again. Yeah that'll fix it. He couldn't even MENTION Matt 11:28?

    I can only pray that this pastor's eyes will be opened through this to see what a serpent of self righteousness Rick really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you mentioned that. Rick did read a letter from "a pastor," and I noticed too that Rick did not have any particular comfort, nor forgiveness, for the person behind the letter. All he pointed out was that this man was like so many Christians, just not loving God, or other people, enough.

    You are right, as this man laid out for Rick his shortcommings of late, Rick could have used some scripture like Matthew 11:28... encouraging anyone who could identify with this letter, with these feelings of being too busy and overwhelmed with life, to lay any burdens at Jesus' feet, but instead, the point was made that this man's problem was his own. His problem was that he didn't love God enough.

    Rick did say that this man needed a fresh awakening of God in his heart. Well, obviously the man knew that himself, that is why he was asking Rick for help.

    Using this letter as an example, Rick said that this man, was like "many Christians today;" specifically, "lethargic, burned-out and living lives no different than unbelievers." At first glance his response is seemingly reasonable... HE did mention the importance of "spending time with God," (and he did talk about Jesus Christ.) No need for discussion there, for spending time with Jesus is a great idea. This was followed with the notion that this man was needing a "radical commitment" to "serving God's purposes with God's people, for God's glory." Isn't that reasonable?

    Well, it is seemingly reasonable... I say "seemingly" because Rick simply told this man the thing that the proverbial "WORLD" would tell him... "Dude, you just need to be more committed in your heart mind and soul, to love God and others people, to do the right thing."

    However, there was no discussion of how no one is perfect, but God. No discussion of God's forgiveness for his shortcomings of things like anger, frustration, and no real talk about resting in Jesus or laying down the cares and concerns at Jesus's feet, or relying on God's holy spirit to empower him to help him in his time of need and to get the work of God done. No, you are right... it was more of a "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" response from Rick. While it seems reasonable, it certainly was far from what the scripture says about God's mercy (Hebrews 4:15-15)and what the gospel (aka, Good News,) says to those who struggle. After all God is a very present help to us in time of need. (Psalm 46:1)

    According to Rick, this man just simply didn't love God enough... and it showed by his letter. Sad. It was a great letter, not pretentious, just real.

    The real solution here is to do what this man did, recognize his wrongs... and ultimately get his focus back on Jesus... (Rick sort of says this.) Jesus, one would assume, is why this pastor was pastoring.

    The solution,according to Rick, is not one of asking forgiveness for such things, but to adhere your thinking to this concept of having a "radical" AWAKENING, (hence this "AWAKENING 21" seminar!)

    Rick adds to this "Awakening" (emphasizing that this awakening is something that Christians, not unbelievers, need, the making of a personal "declaration," like he did, called Radicalis, which incidentally is the name of his upcoming conference. (Slick marketing tool, don't you think?)

    Note though, that it's a declaration that you will never waiver or waffle...never back-up or backslide.... and apparently never have any shortcomings at all... and this simply because you declare... or will, affirm, announce, publish or otherwise avow it, for yourself.


    This is a far cry, you might say, from the simplicity and sincerely of true repentance when we recognize something in us is wrong and definitely difference that reliance upon God and doing his will, not one's own.

    Maybe one day soon, Rick will wake up and see the truth.

    ReplyDelete